– 1 ½ cups of rolled quinoa or rolled oats
– ½ cup of desiccated coconut
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, paste
– 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup (or honey)
– 3 tablespoons of cold pressed coconut oil, OR macadamia nut oil, OR Olive oil
– 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, macadamia nuts or flaked almonds (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 160 C / 315 F.
2. Wash the apples and cut them into wedges with the skin on, removing the core. Place the apples into a large pot. Combine with the apple juice, vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest.
3. Now cook over a low – medium heat for about 20 minutes – stirring occasionally until the apples have completely softened and collapsed. (Cover the pot for the first 10 minutes of cooking, which allows for more liquid to be released from the apples and helps to keep them moist.
4. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking if its necessary to evaporate some of the liquid.
5. To make the crumble combine rolled quinoa or rolled oats as well as coconut, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup, oil and walnuts into a food processor or by hand. Process/mix until mixture is combined and crumbly. Taste and adjust if necessary.
7. Place your apple mixture into a suitable sized baking dish. Evenly sprinkle the crumble over the top of the apple mixture
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden
Serve alone or with custard, yoghurt or coconut yoghurt.