nudie’s story. Written by the good folks at nudie.
January 2003: …Once upon a time in a land not particularly far away (Balmain, Sydney) lived an incredibly tall man named Tim, who loved fruit in all its many forms. Tim (called ‘Tall Tim’ because he is so tall) would wake up each morning to make a range of different fruit juices and smoothies for his wife, daughters and an extra large glass for him. This made them all very happy.
As Tim’s appetite for exciting fruit combinations grew, he found himself getting up earlier and earlier to make his delicious blends. Soon, he couldn’t go to bed at all.
During these long nights spent in front of the juicer, Tall Tim got to thinking...he began to wonder why he couldn’t find a bottled juice that was made using ‘nothing but fruit’; something healthy and delicious that he and his family could buy whilst they were out and about; a juice without preservatives, without colourings, without additives, without concentrates or added sugar?
He thought there must be a lot of other people just like him (though not quite as tall) that wanted the same for themself and their family. So Tim did some in-depth research. He asked some friends if they liked smoothies and fruit juices with nothing else added. And their answer was a resounding: “Yes!”.
Tim spent months testing which fruits were best for what in his kitchen at home. As you can imagine, Tim consumed a lot of fruit! For Tim, fruit is tax deductible. Pretty cool, eh?
Tim set out to create a name for his juices; a name that would tell the world that these juices were made with nothing but fruit - no nasties, just delicious fruit, naked, as nature intended and the name ‘nudie’ was born.
The rest, as they say, is history!
We launched in January 8th 2003. In that first week, we had:
- A team of three people (including Tall Tim)
- 1 x small office in Balmain
- 1 x nudie stockist
- 256 pieces of fruit used in the first week
- A very busy blender (surrounded by many sponges to keep it clean)
- 40 bottles sold in the first week (our family and friends bought the majority of them).
The team of three spent their days door-knocking, sampling, delivering and making nudies (blending fruit etc). Those days were long but very rewarding, as each bottle delivered was met with smiles and encouragement.
Today, we have grown to:
- A team of 70+ people around Australia
- Over 5,000 nudie stockists (incl. every Coles, Woolworths, Gloria Jeans and many great independent cafés, supermarkets etc)
- Over 3,000,000 pieces of fruit per week (give or take a few), no longer sourced from the local grocer. These days we get our fruit from some of the best farms around the world, although over 74% of our fruit comes from Australian orchards and farms
- A state-of-the-art fruit squeezing facility in South East Sydney (imagine an enormous blender).
We are very proud of what we have achieved and every day we make our juices with lots of nudie love. Thanks to the support we have received from people all across Australia, we are now the biggest Australian owned juice company in the Solar System!! We could say Australia, but ‘the Solar System’ sounds heaps better! Wooo hooooo!!